October Three Consulting, LLC, Chicago, IL
- Independent Contractor (October 2018 - present).
- Assisting in the communications and regulatory compliance issues for their core business - the design and administration of market rate cash balance pension plans.
- Consultant (2017 - 2018).
- In charge of age-friendly business consulting services: Phased Retirement programs; Financial Wellness and Retirement Readiness education; Support services for employees who are caregivers for aging parents and siblings; and Including “age” in Diversity statements and mitigating ageism within the workforce.
Retirement HELP, Inc., Chicago, IL
- President (2015 to 2017).
- Retirement planning education and coaching for individuals and families.
Law Offices of Barry Kozak, Chicago, IL
- Attorney (2015 to 2017).
- Provided elder law and estate planning advice and documents for individuals and families.
The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, IL
- Director of Elder Law Programs (2010 - 2015).
- Associate Director of the graduate Employee Benefits and Tax Law programs (2001 - 2005, then full time 2005 - 2010).
- Taught a variety of classes at the JD and LLM levels.
- Developed, Organized and Moderated the 21st Belle R. & Joseph H. Braun Memorial Symposium, "2014 International Elder Law and Policy Conference" and assisted in the drafting of the Chicago Declaration, and was part of the John Marshall delegation presenting our view for a Convention on the Human Rights of Older Persons at the fifth annual meeting of the United Nation’s Open-Ended Working Group on Ageing.
- Assisted in the school's preparation and presentation of accreditation review by the The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Traveled to China and meets with the administration and faculty of the East China University of Political Science and Law, Shanghai, four times to discuss the emerging field of forensic gerontology, and how they can add classes to their curriculum that address aging populations within China and elsewhere in the world.
- Served on the faculty's Orientation Committee, and presents at the 2L Re-Orientation program, at open houses, and at admitted students receptions.
- Served on the law school's special ad hoc committee on distance education.
- Served as faculty coach for the team of J.D. and LLM students representing the school at several Law Student Tax Challenges, hosted by the American Bar Association Section of Taxation.
- Assisted with the school's internal Law Practice Management symposia or classes.
- Served on the law school's special ad hoc committee on classroom and library technology.
- Served as faculty coach for the "shadow team" of students at its International Information Technology and Privacy Law Moot Court competitions, and served on its planning committee.
- Assisted with the school's bar preparation skills workshops.
- Served as faculty coach for the team of students representing the school at several Mugel Tax Law Moot Court Competition, hosted by the University of Buffalo Law School.
- Served as a judge for each semester's inter-scholastic Herzog moot court competition.
- Served as faculty advisor for independent research papers for JD, LLM and MS students.
The American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries, Arlington, VA, through the University of Michigan Retirement Research Center, Ann Arbor, MI
- Technical Education Consultant (i.e., professional designation exam writer) (part time 2005 - 2006).
- The American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries had just decided to a new professional designation, the Qualified 401(k) Administrator ("QKA"), and I was in charge of writng the initial bank of exam questions for one of the two new exams (the Retirement Plan Fundamentals Part 2 (RPF-2), which covers plan administration, including census collection, benefit allocations and coverage and nondiscrimination testing, daily valuation recordkeeping, appropriate investments for daily valuation plans, fiduciary considerations including investment fees and revenue sharing, the processes involved in daily valuation recordkeeping, mutual fund trading and ethics concerning trading errors, and plan mergers and terminations).
Donald Delves (now Executive Compensation practice leader for North America at Willis Towers Watson)
- Technical Assistant (part time 2005).
- Helped Mr. Delves research and edit his Treatise on the new accounting rules for stock options and other equitable forms of executive compensation - ACCOUNTING FOR COMPENSATION ARRANGEMENTS, Specialty Technical Publishers
CCA Strategies (now part of Aon Hewitt), Chicago, IL
- Legal Consultant (part time 2001 - 2005).
- Helped to educate the internal consultants and actuaries about the legal issues affecting their clients' retirement plans, health plans, and other employee benefits plan.
- Assisted in research and dissemination of information to clients and to the professional community.
Bell, Boyd & Lloyd, LLC (now part of K&L Gates), Chicago, IL
- Associate Attorney (2000 - 2001).
- Worked exclusively in the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Group, which was part of their larger Tax Law group.
- Researched issues for clients, and drafted documents for clients' retirement benefit plans, health and welfare benefit plans, and other employee benefit plans and programs.
- Performed due diligence of employee benefits issues for client's involved in mergers, acquisitions, and business sales.
Laner Muchin Dombrow Becker Levin Tominberg, Ltd., Chicago, IL
- Law Student Employee Benefits Law Clerk (part time 1998 - 2000).
- Provided research support for attorneys in the ERISA and Employee Benefits group.
State Private Funds Supervision, Budapest, Hungary
- Law Student Summer Intern (part time 1998).
- While studying abroad through the Santa Clara University School of Law program, I interned in the main pension and Social Security regulatory agency at a time when the now-independent nation of Hungary was harmonizing all relevant domestic laws for admittance into the European Union.
Schiller Ducanato & Fleck, Chicago, IL
- Law Student Legal Research Assistant (part time 1997 - 1998).
- Assisted several attorneys in writing chapters of a book on the income taxation and employee benefits issues with divorce.
Gilson Labus and Silverman CPAs, Chicago, IL
- Law Student Federal Income Tax Clerk (part time 1997 - 2000).
- Assisted accountants in preparation of income tax returns for individuals and businesses, and provided research for tax advisory projects and inquiries.
Consulting Actuaries International Inc., New York, NY
- Senior Administrative Manager and Actuary (1994 - 1996).
- Led a team of consultants in the design, implementation, administration, and termination of traditional defined benefit plans.
Belcor Pension Consultants, New York, NY
- Director of Actuarial Services (1993 - 1994).
- Acted as the liaison between our clients' pension plans and an external actuary.
Pay Plans Corp., New York, NY
- Retirement Plan Consultant (1990 - 1993).
- Worked closely with the business owner to develop uniquely tailored plans for business clients, especially as the new world of nondiscrimination testing was unfurling.
The Ibex Group, New York, NY
- Senior Pension Administrator and Consultant (1988 - 1990).
- Was trained by seasoned professionals, and then became a trainer to newly hired consultants, on all of the intracacies of designing, implementing, operating and terminating defined benefit pension plans.
Improved Funding Techniques, Inc., Lynbrook, NY
- Pension Consultant (1987 - 1988).
- Helped in the general administration and communication of defined benefit pension plans.